YOUR FAMILY-FRIENDLY, CLASSIC KIWI CAMPGROUND.
We are a unique camping experience at the gateway to Banks Peninsula and its most sheltered camp for windy days. A small discount may be available on week days if you mention you saw this. Powered sites, tent sites and van/car sites available.
For bookings over Christmas and into early 2024 you will have to email to see if there are sites, as we have limited space. We have blocked out any online bookings but we do have sites available. Just ask.
Please read our story so you know what the camp has to offer and whether it is ‘your cup of tea’. We are on a Banks Peninsula Conservation Trust covenant. The slightly higher camping fee helps us protect our native tree and bird species. (thanks for your support).
• Accommodation and native bird sanctuary set in native bush
• Less than one hour from Christchurch and Akaroa
• An ‘old school’ classic kiwi campground off the beaten track
• We’re Banks Peninsula’s only dog-friendly campground!
• Cabins and powered/unpowered sites and tent sites available
• We are a zero waste camp, so what you bring in, you take out.
If you’d like to stay email us or call Marcus on 021 611 820.
Get away for a night or two, we’re only an hour from Christchurch.
We appreciate longer stays, especially over busy times. If you are only able to do 1 or 2 nights, we can accommodate you, but site choices will be limited.
RATES AND BOOKING INFO
A portion of your fee helps us protect our native habitat.
Adults $25 | Kids $10 (2-14yrs) | Infants (under 2) $5 | Power $5 | Day visitors $5.
The following fees are charged for individuals/couples/small families staying in extra large tents, caravans and campervans. Only at peak busy times.
On weekends we prefer two night bookings in our cabins. Book for one night, you may be charged for two, depending on the circumstances.
XLarge Tent Fee (over 3x6m) | Adults $30 | Kids $15 (2-14yrs) | Infants (under 2) $5. Only at peak busy times.
XLarge Caravan Fee | Adults $30 | Kids $15 (2-14yrs) | Infants (under 2) $5 | Power $5. Only at peak busy times.
We have had to make a hard decision on accommodating large tents and caravans, as they keep getting bigger and bigger, and family numbers smaller. Large tent bookings (over 3m x 6m) – $30/adult and $15 for kids. as an example, This only applies if you have a 6/8/10 person tent with less than 6/8/10 people in it.
As we are a small campground large tents and caravans and campervans with one person only you may be charged at a two person minimum over busy times, depending on your circumstances.
Over the holiday periods, the Kids price may include the slippery slide and/or a campfire, but this not guaranteed. BYO marshmallows! CLICK HERE TO BOOK NOW.
** NO EFTPOS ** Cash preferred otherwise bank transfer on or before arrival.
Ask about our premium upgrade – preferred site, free wifi, hot showers and late checkout.
Free accommodation for work and WWOOFERs welcome by arrangement.
Please read our cancellation policy (on right) before booking.
FACILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
- Dog friendly (on a lead at all times & well behaved- no yapping!)
- Free WIFI (conditions apply)
- Hot showers $2 (4 minutes at up to 42 degrees)
- Eco toilets – world renowned waterless system- helping save water and the environment
- ZERO WASTE POLICY – what packaging and waste you bring, you take out.
- Late checkout available, just ask
- Outdoor kitchen with hot water, sinks, gas hob, microwave, fridge/freezer, toaster, jug
- Seasonal herb garden. Plenty of mint!
- BBQ available. Bring your gas bottle just in case
- Laundry $4. Washing line in a sunny spot to dry
- Scary Slippery Slides SORRY CLOSED FOR SAFETY UPGRADE
- Crazy giant swing from our 200 year old Matai tree SORRY CLOSED FOR SAFETY
- River to play in with small pools- make some dams!
- Feed the pet eels– they like left over meat. Kids love it. Be gentle with them.
- Riverside picnic areas (and secret spots for romancing)
- Playground with ground level trampoline and climbing frames and tree.
Our peaceful, safe haven is a perfect base for exploring Banks Peninsula. Powered and unpowered riverside sites plus 5h of native bush and walks to explore. Little River Campground has something for everyone. Big enough to lose yourself in, but small enough for intimate gatherings. Formerly known as Birdlands Sanctuary, the area is home to Tui, Koromiko/Bellbirds, Piwakawaka/fantails, Kereru/wood pigeons, Ruru/morepork and protected tuna/eels in the Okuti River.
A peaceful riverside camp with the lush beauty of the South Island’s West Coast yet less than an hour from Christchurch makes this the perfect venue for any occasion. A natural setting and rustic, so if you like sterile holiday parks with all the mod cons, this may not be the place for you.
Ideal as a first night stop for newly arrived tourists in campers. (We’d be happy to give you travel advice). Back to nature holidays, weddings, retreats, parties, birthdays and with the advantage of affordable accommodation. Plan a romantic getaway in one of our cute cabins or have a camping holiday with your family. Private camp areas for group bookings.
Nostalgic Camping is what we call it. Back to basics camping like it use to be. Kids playing on the trampoline or in the river, exploring and being adventurous while you sit back and relax knowing they’re safe. We are a small business 100% kiwi owned and not affiliated with any chain of holiday parks, preferring to be ‘Unique Boutique’. Somewhere special and memorable. The camping areas are limited but there is 5h of bush to escape to.
- We have a safety policy to keep vehicles away from the sites making it safer for kids.
- There is no parking on the campsites (except for campervans of course)
- Zero waste- what you bring in you take out, except food scraps.
Weddings, birthdays, silent disco’s, special occasions – – book the camp and enjoy time with friends and family. We sometimes have one night vacancies for cabins and sites, so email and ask. Before booking please understand our cancellation policy.
To hire the campground exclusively, please email or call 03 325 1014. Ideal for special occasions with silent disco option, so you can party all night!
Also Ideal for school camps with an environmental aspect.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 021 611820 for booking information.
As we are a small campground sites over New years are available but we do prefer longer stays. We may not have many sites for very large tents, gazebos, or huge caravans. The online bookings are blocked but we do have sites, you just need to get in contact.